I went to the market to buy my weekly flowers with an image in my head of late Summer English bunches of daisy type flowers which I was planning to make a natural loose round design for the centre of the table. Instead when I went to the stall which sells flowers grown in Bedfordshire I couldn’t resist these hot pink flowers with their contrasting glossy dark stems. As they had a tropical look to them I added a bunch of Alstroemeria in a dusky pink with a lime centre. I found out the pink flower is an outdoor variety of Amaryllis or Belladonna lily.
I wanted to show of the beautiful stems of these flowers as well as leave space around the strong flowers so created a linear hand-tie which I then added more flowers and foliage to around the base of the design. The design sits in a tall tapered silver vase. The Amaryllis are an unusual flower I hadn’t seen before but you could use any flower with a strong form instead, good alternatives at this time of year would be Anthuriums, Agapanthus, Callas, or Gerberas.
How to Create
I removed all the lower leaves from the Alstroemeria, simply run you hand from just below the top set of leaves down to the bottom of the stem. Cut a length of string ready. Then in one hand create your design, start with the smallest flower at the top, then stagger the flowers with the biggest bloom at the base, I interspersed the Amaryllis with a stem of Alstro, with another at the base. It doesn’t matter if you need a few attempts before you are happy and you can slightly reposition/turn the flowers even when tied. I then tied my string around the stems below the bottom flower to hold the stems in place.
I held the flowers against my vase to judge where to cut the stems, if possible cut the each stem diagonally to improve water uptake. I wanted to finish the design with some foliage with a tropical look, so I removed a Dracena and Yucca leaf from my houseplants! Houseplants are a great source for a glossy tropical leaf another very useful plant is the Aspidistra, just don’t pick too many! I rolled the Dracena leaf and created a pin with some wire (you could use any garden wire if you don’t have floristry wire or even staple in place). I fed this stem into the string at the front of the design and put the Yucca leaf into the back.
When I put my flowers in the vase there were some gaps at the top of the vase, I put in some more Alstro cut to sit just above the top of the vase. I diluted some flower food and poured into the vase.